Friday, August 06, 2010

on stuff

I like kottke.org very much. Where else would I find out about Dinosaurs that were shapeshifters or the typographical mustache?

I'm going on an Eastern European vacation this weekend, for 10 days, with assorted members of the family. 9 adults, 3 children. 4 over 60, 4 in the between 35 and 45 group, me and a 2 yr old, 5 yr old and 6 yr old. I promise pictures. We are going to Prague and Budapest. Somehow, I got volunteered to organise this thing. It is terribly stressful. And of course somebody wants a first class ticket, somebody wants to go to Italy on work, somebody want to go to London after the trip and they all tell me only after the tickets are already done. And we are going to places with names with so many vowels and weird marks over the letters - I have no idea if I have booked a tour to the same place twice. I am going to need a vacation to recover from my vacation. All of this while using a travel agent. Who annoys me. Anyway. Prague & Budapest. This is working out to be a fairly expensive holiday. About Rs.1,20,000 per person, including plane fare - a little less than it could have been as we are getting senior discounts on all our rooms.

Next time I'm take a long vacation, I'm staying at home and sending everybody away. Everybody except the cook and the maid. Just me and some pot boilers and ice cream. A girl can wish.

I'm watching season two of MI-5 currently. I like Mattew Macfayden in this role. He is so much better as Tom Quinn - Lead Spook than he was as The Hon'bl Fitzwilliam Darcy, of Pemberly. His range of wooden expressions goes better with this role. Season 3 and 4 to go. And then I will go back to Hustle, Season 2.

Did they make all of the Adam Dagleish books into TV movies? I saw the one with the murders in a seminary with the guy who comes in Dr.House. In Dr.House, he was supposed to have spent time in a seminary and decided against becoming a priest, I think. Was good. Want more. And the Inspector Lynley series as well. They come on and off on BBC, but I want more. I like watching all of it together, rather than 1 or 2 a week.

I also have the first season of Merlin, which I haven't seen. And the first 3 seasons of Mad Men, also which I haven't seen. So much to see, so little time.

And in this section we shall review my current aches and pains as if I am an old lady and not just 27 years old. Why? Because I said so.

I have a sore throat. I have had it for about 45 days. The first doc prescribed whatever they prescribe for the common cold, because at that time I had a cold as well and he told me to gargle. The second doc, a week ago, made me say aaah, took some blood, said I didn't have an infection, that there was no problem and that I was a little anemic and maybe I was spending a little too much time in air-conditioning, so why don't I have an anti-histamine and some iron. The anti-histamine makes me so sleepy I can hardly get up in the morning. The third doc, who I saw earlier today, said that I had ulcers in my throat and pharynx and I should have vitamin C and a germicidal gargle and eat bland, soothing food for a while. So I went home and the cook promptly gave me molagu rasam. I had it with lots of thair. That's bland right? How the hell did the second doc miss ulcers when I did aaah?

I've been buying so much Strepsils this past month they should gift me some stock. Who knew it came in so many flavours - of regular, orange, lemon & honey, ginger and lemon, my favorite is ginger and lemon. Which is weird, because I don't like ginger otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment