Wednesday, January 18, 2006

baack!

It has been a loong day. I got out of the house at 6.15 am to catch the flight to hyderabad flight, spent what seemed like barely any time at all flying and forever in hyderabad airport and then caught the plane to bhubaneshwar and now I am sitting in my very cool room in the hostel. I hate airports. The coffee sucks in both the chennai airport and the hyderabad airport and they are both too crowded and noisy. The temperature seems to have gone up by 20 degrees since the time I left. But it is a lot cooler in my room though it smells like old clothes in here.

It seems like I left for chennai only yesterday. The train journey there seemed mercifully short. It must have been all the sleeping I did. There was this really annoying guy who kept pestering me with questions about CAT. What the hell do I know about that? It's not as if I studied all that hard for it. Ugh.

I spent 2 days in chennai, 3 days in kodai & another 2 days in chennai. Met the new nephew. Damn cute. Another nephew/niece on the way. The cuz looks ready to pop any day. Watched a lot of cricket, ate only at home, didn't meet many friends, didn't go out much. I just wanted to stay at home. Even when I was in Kodai.

In Kodai, did the morning walk thingy, went boating with my aunt and niece. Went horse riding with the niece. The poor horse. Uttara is great fun to be with. Except when she wants me to do everything with/for her. It was great fun watching Ice Age and Alice in Wonderland with her. I didn't enjoy getting her to eat. The kid can be damn stubborn. I already miss her.

I saw this most horrible Steven Segal movie called Out of Reach. It was like a parody of an action movie. Only it wasn't. Disgraceful. He was doing a Don Corleone voice all through the movie and it was really gross. I was very relieved when there was a power cut. I could have got up and left, but it would have been like chickening out.

What else? I wanted to write something particular when I started, I dont remember what. I read Catherine de Medici's biography on the plane. Brilliant book. (Tara, if you are reading this, I told perima I'm taking it.) I bought Bob Woodward's PLan of Attack in the Hyderabad airport. It's about how Bush et all planned the Iraq war. It makes Powell look like an unheard voice of reason - initially unsure and then slowly he also got converted, Cheney and Wolfowitz seem like they were foaming at the mouth for a war, Rumsfeld and Franks as resigned to a war from the begining and Bush seemed to have just made he decision at the beginning to go to war, andeverybody else made it possible. Interesting read. I have gotten to the part where the British media calls Blair Bush's poodle. We all know what happens after that. It's weird, reading a book where you already know what's going to happen.

I'm hungry. Air Sahara food is better than Indian Airlines food. But then, hospital food, prison food or no food would be better than Indian Airlines food. I bet the food in my aunt's fridge after it had not been closed properly and left for 4 days would have tasted better than that idly and pink upma and sambar that they gave me for breakfast. Thank god they couldn't spoil the water and the Alpenliebe.

1 comment:

  1. I loved it too. And I figured you'd taken it when I looked at my desk this morning. I knew something was missing. It wasnt as messy as it should have been.

    ReplyDelete