Saturday, February 04, 2006

Of anniversaries and things.

What is so special about 5? Why do people celebrate the 25th anniversary and the 60th birthday with so much pomp and ceremony? I feel bad for the 24s and the 57s of the number family. Is it fair to them? Just because we have 5 fingers in each hand! Now the sis turned 20 last week. Hurrah for her and everythng but why is the big two oh bigger than the say one nine? Other than the leaving the teens behind and all that. That reminds me of the line in The Fellowship of the Rings about the "Tweens - The irresponsible years between 20 and 30". They should make a sitcom about it. They seem to be making sitcoms about everything.

Back on the subject, I turn 23 in less than a fortnight. Now why is this less monumental than when I turn 30? And what is so scary about that number that people scream and run when they hear it? What is the big fun in staying young? Nobody listens to you, you need permission for everything, you are ignorant and in the company of similarly ignorant people atleast 5 days a week and 8 hours a day. Not that growing old is any fun either. I am not taking about the medication and wrinkles, just that it all seems so pointless. Which brings us back to the ultimate question? What am I doing that requires this existence? What am I going to do? Are the Gods running a betting pool on which stupid human will do which moronic thing next? Or is it some sort of gigantic Truman Show?

This post seems to have run away from me. I'll get back to you when I know what I am talking about. Cheers.

6 comments:

  1. seems scary at times, but i do feel like truman at times. Does everyone go thru' the same monumental moments once in a lifetime or is it that we have been classified ? 20 or 25 , i dont see much difference, except that wat people expect at the two ages is different. The question is why ? i m still the same !

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, never said 20 is bigger than 19 (except that it's bigger than 19- you know, in terms of numbers), but it's a birthday! people wish you well (which is a rare occasion in my eperience), and give you nice stuff. sue me for being worldly. all my birthdays are big deals. just so you know. i'm expecting something when you get back home....

    you ramble better than mr collins' sermons. that's a certain kind of talent, i figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. soph - watching pride and prejudice again?

    shri - you aren't 25 yet (are you?), how can you say you are the same?

    word: copkt

    ReplyDelete
  4. (blush) yeah, i confess, i can't pull myself away from colin firth or the lady who plays mrs bennett. she does it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these numbers are just like milestones. Imagine youself going on a long straight road in the Thar desert. They put bigger milestones at 10 or 25kms. A traveller may lose interest in the journey, he may doze off,lose track of time, forget that this journey is going to come to an end and most importantly forget to set smaller goals to reach his Final Destination. I think this analogy if applied to life will give you some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. heh, they make sitcoms about everything...!!
    meera you make my day...
    blush!

    ReplyDelete