Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Happy Diwali

There is a very muted rumbling of crackers all around. A lot less noise than I am used to during Diwali.

I haven't burst crackers since 10th std. There was this major anti-child labour movement in Tamil Nadu at that time and the pictures in the papers really grossed me out. Since then, we haven't had crackers at home. A couple of weeks ago, in one of my classes, we were discussing child labour and how according to Indian law, children under 14 can't be employed. The prof was pro-child labour and said stuff about how it was a lot worse for the children without the work. I don't know how I feel about it. On one hand, I know that conditions are awful, that children should go to school and have a childhood and everything, but on the other, I can't help feeling that if they were not working in factories and farms and as domestic help, they would definitely not be in school and unless somebody can find a way to get them to school, I don't think the whole 'child labour is bad' issue will ever get resolved. Every Diwali I think about this and the rest of the time, I'm too caught up in my little life to really care.

I had 3 classes today! 3! I only attended one but still... What were they thinking! Keeping classes on Diwali?! There was the usual mumbling about how they'll never have classes on Christmas but they don't mind bugging us during Diwali. I don't know how true that is but I definitely wouldn't have minded having the day off. Not because of Diwali; any undeserved break is a good thing.

I have had the music playing till now with the speakers turned off. I wondered what the problem was - checked the port, checked the settings but didn't check the speaker itself. These things happen far too often with me. This morning, on my way to breakfast, I realised that I had on chappals of two different pairs! I am so happy I realised it before anybody saw me. Imagine the embarrasment!

Happy Diwali folks! Think of me when you have sweets. I will probably go out for dinner. I am not subjecting myself to the horrors of the "Special Diwali Dinner" at the mess tonight. My poor stomach commit suicide. Would that be like Harakiri? Are Harakiri and Seppuku the same thing?

p.s. Chad Kroeger of Nickelback has the nicest voice I have heard in a long time.

9 comments:

  1. Especially the spiderman soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine the embarrasment!

    What embarassment? Isn't that normal for you? :D

    My Diwali was spent chauffeuring our parents and then our grandmother around town. Radha Patti's made Omapodi, Tape Pakoda, Badaam Halwa and there's loads of store-bought Kaju Katli and Jelebi. Andu Patti's made the bestest diwali marundu. Just letting you know. Didn't want you to miss out on Diwali food!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i louv it. anyway, harakiri is committing suicide by slashing the abdomen. eating your mess' diwali treat would be much the same, i guess. seppuku and harakiri are the same thing, but harakiri is a less refined way of saying it.

    happy diwali!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yo!
    i wrote about diwali too, mines more nostalgic.
    not really big coincidence, supp its bound to happen.
    anyhow, my diwali was spent entirely in class. only good part was awesome sambhar (mine, obviously) which i had for lunch

    ReplyDelete
  5. so here goes. what's the meaning behind the infamous(?), mystical, mythical "/* ?

    - huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep only you see it.

    word: jmnysvn - reminded me of Jiminy Cricket (sp?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. no, i didn't use the tags. should i? i wouldn't know. the only html coding i did was in school, when they kinda forced me to.

    ReplyDelete