Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Movie Spoilers Ahead

Maybe it was the bad sound and bad camera print and lack of coke and popcorn, but the movie version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was terrible. Not bad, not ok, terrible. It was as bad as The Prisoner of Azkaban.

There were many things bad about the movie.

The way it started, for one thing. They completely cut out the World cup! Maybe the bootleg version didn't have it but still... And I didn't see Winky at all. Not once. No Ludo Bagman either. WTF?

The dragons were good. The underwater rescue was ok. The maze was totally fucked up. No sphinx, no Boggart, no dementor, nothing. I am going to see it when I go to Chennai again. Get a good print. I am hoping all of this got cut out from the version I saw. Hoping it will make the DVD version.

Voldie looked ok. A little too grey. Cho does not look like that. No freakin' way. The Weasleys need to get hair cuts. Cedric looked good. All handsome and Hufflepuffy. Ron's dress robes were hilarious. The Dark Mark was awful. Itwasn't even green! Voldemort's speech after his resuscitation is one of the best things about the book and it was barely there! They showed only Lucius Malfoy. No Dolohov, Nott, Crabbe, Doyle, et al. I have read the books way too many times.

It was as if they took all the good parts of the books, which actually gave it substance and deliberately cut it out. I am very upset.

My version of the movie is a lot better. When I read the book, I visualised the whole thing. This movie does not live up to that.

Neville is way taller than Harry, even taller than Ron. It's weird. he's not even plump anymore. Draco Malfoy is his platinum self. The Amazing Bouncing Ferret scene atleast made the cut.

The weird dance thingy that the Beauxbaxtons do, and the staff stomping thing that the Durmstrangs do... where did that come from? And since when was the french school all female and the bulgarian school all male?? The guy has taken way too much creative license. I don't mind if they take a book, change everything and make a good movie. It's only when they change a good book into a bad movie that I have a problem.

I also saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Thats an example of a good book made into an entertaining movie. Dumb yes, but it atleast helped pass time. Maybe the good print and sound helped.

5 comments:

  1. You watched a pirated print?No wonder u didnt like it.I feel that such movies, with special effects, shud be seen the first time in theatres.
    I gather that the makers had to cut off most of the sub plots and concentrate on the more important things like the tri wizard tournament because the book is so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. u know wat meera, i saw it in a theater here and it still sucked. i hated dumbledore ...and believe me i think the dvd will be very similar to the movie. glad to know some agree with me that it sucked..with the way the movies are going, and since i think the fifth book is crap, i mite skip the fifth movie
    -Srini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut up. Ralph Fiennes was amazing, and they did show Crabb and Goyle. You weren't looking.

    Yes, maze was fucked up, dark mark sucked, the world cup and winky were sorely missed, but hello? Victor Krum's dumb, bland but beautiful face made up for a little teensy bit of it. Of course, he's supposed to be un-handsome in the book....

    Cho was an idiot, Daniel Radcliffe makes me want to rip his emotionless face apart.

    Beaubaxtons ARE supposed to be all girls!

    However, I liked the movie, on full screen and all, last row seats and lots and lots of popcorn and steaming hot coffee. I guess it's the experience that counts.

    Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka... Damn, I want them to make James and the Giant Peach into a movie. Or BFG. Or Witches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ala! Stop motion is, of course, animation. How would you categorise Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run otherwise?

    Anyway, wanted movie with live actors, not cartoon movie. Have seen cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey don't see HP agn, u will get disappointed. none of those things are there in the movie.

    but i thot it was ok. not having the world cup was bad though.

    and when are u going to chennai. u remember my threat?

    ReplyDelete