Thursday, September 07, 2006

I make fun of other people's fears. But I have my own little secret fear. Not secret anymore, but still...
 

I have always had a very irrational fear of cockroaches. Always. There was a time when I was so scared of them that I wouldn't go into a room that had a cockroach until my mom had gone in and scared it out of the door/window or killed it or told me that she talked to it and it promised to behave nicely. What can I say? I never said it was a rational fear. I am not so scared by them now. And by that I mean that I can approch one from behind a can of Hit.

Anyway. A couple of days ago, I got home at a decent hour and D wasn't back yet, so I had no one to whine about my day to. I turned on the TV. It was stuffy and the fan was stirring up the hot air, so I opened a window and went to get a bottle of water. When I turned around from the fridge, I saw a HUGE cockroach fly in through the window I just opened. It was HUGE. I don't mind small cockroaches. The big ones freak me out.
 
I froze. It went under a pile of cushions. I didn't know what to do. There was no Hit. (D had bought a can of something called Cockroach Stop a couple of weeks ago. But it said Non-Toxic. What is the point? I want it to KILL the damn cockroaches, not make them sneeze! Then I read on and it said "Non-Toxic to humans". Unlike Hit and Baygone which give you death I guess. Then it said, "dehydrates cockroaches and insects from the inside out." Ugh. Does it kill them or make them thirsty??) So I took the Cockroach Stop and a broom and went toward the pile of cushions, gingerly. And nudged it. The roach scampered out and ran toward my room!! No No No. Wrong direction!! So I sprayed a little CS ahead of it and it turned - toward me!!! I ran out of the way and it went to the balcony where we hang clothes to dry. No No not there either. There was no way out of there. So I sprayed some CS again and this time it turned toward the door. Right direction finally, but the door was closed! So I ran ahead of it and opened it. By now it was moving under the influence of CS and seemed a little woozy. It was still not dead. If I had used do much Hit, the damn thing would have died by now. Anyway, it went out of the door without much further ado. Phew. I discarded the weaponry, washed my hands, shut the windows and sat back down in front of the TV.
 
I looked under the bed before I went to sleep. And switched on the light and checked the bathroom before going in.

7 comments:

  1. You'd have hated the likes of me.

    Used to catch 'em by their antennae and scare people as a kid! :D

    I cannot count the number of times I'd played that prank on people at school. Just give them a box and they open it to find a HUGE cockroach! :D

    Sorry, I kinda find it funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah ok.

    I once found a cockroach in my schoolbag AFTER i had reached school.. My bag went flying, all my books tumbled out, the cockroach crawled out. I shook the bag upside down for good measure, put all my books back in and walk off to censure from the teachers for treating my books like that and guffaw from all the other kids for being such a wussy.

    I DON'T find in funny but you're too far away to scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used to catch hold of them and put them in matchboxes to take to school for dissection.
    We chloroformed the roach and them took out one leg...removed the muscle fibres and put them on a slide...put some liquid stuff to stop the fibres from shrinking and then 'teased' the muscle fibres to separate them before observing them under the microscope. One time the chloroform wasn't sufficient and the creature gained consciousness in the middle of the operation. Led to such a scene in the bio lab.
    I still catch them with my hands if they are annoying, and show them my dissection boxwhich I still possess ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. horrors. i still remember my biology labs in school when we had to dissect the leg muscles of cockroaches. and we had to look at their dead little corpses to find out if they were male or female. and we had to hold them down and examine each part seperately so that we could draw them in great detail. it would be natural that i stop being afraid of cockroaches, but those lab hours just increased my fear. have you ever felt an exoskeleton? those things are so hard, they'd survive h-bombs dropped right on them. in fact, they have. the very fact that those flying monsters have survived for 350 million years scares me out of my wits. if they could survive nuclear holocausts and genghis khan, chances are, they're going to survive me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cant stand them, not brave enough to even kill them....sigh! I am such a wuss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. only with forceps, cd. only with forceps. *shuddeR*

    ReplyDelete