Wednesday, August 02, 2006

One wonders about fate. And then, gives up wondering because one's head aches.

What would the input be if your output needed to be 100 units after a constant waste of 5 units and 10% of the total input?

Simple right? Yeah, I thought so too. But Microsoft thinks otherwise. And gives a wrong answer and vehemently claims that it is the right one and does not allow me to change it. Not in MSOffice - don't go checking. Just take my word for it.

I think it is very unfair to put me in training all day and then ask me to stay over and do some more work. I left at 11 last night. The other 2 working on the same thing stayed till 1. They are making me look so bad. Fools.

On a positive note, the training has become so much better. They changed the trainer and this guy knows so much more. It is not so boring and pointless anymore.

The father and grandmother are coming tomorrow - to a wedding in the city. I have to go with them to either the wedding or the reception. Why would someone keep a wedding at 3 in the am? I might go for the reception. Might.

The father is bringing some thattai and laddoos and jangri and DVDs. DVDs courtesy him and the rest courtesy my aunt.

Have you noticed that women in Grisham's books have weird names? Darby, Reggie et all. Maybe just in these two books. Metlin wouldn't know...

Have you read Life According to Garp by John Irving? I read it some 3 years ago. It was brilliant. Crazy but brilliant. I remembered the book when I read an article that quoted Stephen King and John Irving asking Rowling to not kill Potter in the last book.

I wouldn't care if Potter died, as long as he died well, and the book was good. He is not real. Sheesh. I was pissed when Dumbledore died in the end of Half Blood Prince but Order of The Phoenix spoilt Harry Potter for me. It will never be the same again.

But I did feel really bad when Gandalf fell in the Mines of Moria. Really really bad. I had to keep the book down for a couple of minutes. Unsurprisingly, I didn't feel really bad when Boromir died. Though in the movie, I felt bad for Sean Bean. He never gets good, living through the movie, roles. I have cribbed about this before.

I just realised that I have nothing to wear tomorrow to the reception and I told appa not to bring any clothes for me. Oh well.

12 comments:

  1. Darby Shaw is kinda nice name though it does remind u of the Derby n thus horses...
    Reggie is fine but Reggie LOVE...hmmm interesting ;-)
    For that matter Dumbledore isn't a very common name right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I am happy all the better characters live in Lord of the Rings. I still can't believe that Dumbledore is dead. Never wanted to read 6th after reading 5th, still read it. Don't want to read 7th after 6th. But i think I will read it anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, whoever wrote the above comment said everything I wanted to say. Eerie. Makes me wonder whether it was me who said it, just don't remember.

    I remember though that I felt really bad when Gandalf fell. I couldn't believe it, so I looked at the chapter names ahead to see anything familiar. There was this chapter Grey Havens which I thought had to do with Gandalf the Grey and so he probably comes back. I was releived and read-on. Turns out that the Grey Havens referred to something totally different, but by then it didn't matter.

    P.S. I would've had something better to say if all I wanted to say hadn't been said before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Metlin does agree.

    And yes! I _love_ John Irving, oh GOD!

    Life According to Garp? I think you mean The World According to Garp?

    Anyway, it's one of my favourite books! It's so mean yet so funny, he sometimes reminds me of Joseph Heller. :-)

    LoTR was what's known today as High Fantasy; Harry Potter isn't. Perchance that explains the way Rowling treats her characters? Then again, it is a kid's book, so she might not. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Metlin - Yes, The world. Oops. Remember how Garp's wife has an accident? Blowjob and all? I read another book where a guy's wife dies that way. Makes me wonder if this is a common cause for accident that only people like John Irving and Neil Gaiman know about.
    SId - Yeah, the Gray Havens gave me a jolt too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meera.......r u coming to chennai during Aug 15th hols

    ReplyDelete
  7. You read Gaiman? Wow, this gets better by the minute.

    And yes, I know what you are talking about - it's also slightly disturbing.

    *shudder*

    Anyway, big Gaiman fan here - own all his books, and the complete Sandman collection.

    American Gods, Neverwhere and Stardust top the list, Good Omens, Coraline, Anansi Boys and Smoke & Mirrors come next.

    Sandman Endless Nights was good, but not half as good as the graphic novels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Slightly Disturbing? Master of understatement!

    Gods at war; Crazy gods; lazy Gods; Dead people; Dead people who died horribly; Dead people who come back to life; Sadistic modern gods; Angry Egyptian Gods; Apathetic Gods; Man who has no idea what he is doing and why he is doing it but he does it anyway - the guy is actually ready to give up his life for the crazy god and he dosen't know why?! Lovely stuff. I was grossed out and totally amused at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ala - it happens... tough. You poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, I think Ala's prof has given him oodles of money -- so, not so poor thing, me thinketh.

    Sha, Alam?

    ReplyDelete