Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Not for the easily grossed out.

The kitchen sink has been clogged for the past couple of days. No amount of jabbing the drain with pointy objects has helped. When I went back home yesterday evening, it was really gross. Water was slowly dripping from the pipe joint and that whole area looked like someone had puked and hadn’t cleaned up properly. So I decided to take matters into my own hands – literally. I unscrewed the pipe and took it, gingerly, to the place where we keep our brooms and mops and dead dustbins. There was a tap there. I filled this pipe with water, the water just poured out of the top. There was a broken broom next to the tap. My room mate’s mom handed me a long piece of wood from it and told me to unblock it. That’s when things got really shitty. I stuck it through the pipe, it hit a blockage. I pushed it through and then I almost puked. The stuff that came out was vegetable waste. Congealed and old. Have you ever been downwind from a garbage van? That’s how bad it smelled. Worse, I had to clean this crap up, wash and clean the pipe and put it back under the sink. That took another half hour. Just thinking of it makes me want to barf.

P.S. On a better smelling note, my room mate’s mom is here for a week. That is a week of good food people! Yesterday, she made sambar and brinjal. Normally, I wouldn’t go near brinjal with a 10 foot pole, but yesterday, I loved it. AND she had taken out the coffee filter & the coffee that I had brought from Chennai and made decoction! I had filter coffee yesterday and this morning! Coffee! Good Coffee! Like my mom went on a rampage and bought a zillion stuff for the kitchen, D's mom also went on a rampage and bought everything that my mom had missed. SO we have a fully functional, stocked kitchen now. Let’s see what gets used after she leaves. She bought homeopathy meds for a Chikugunya disease that’s all over Hyderabad. I had some last night and this morning. It looks like tiny naphthalene balls and smells like it too. I think it has made me constipated. Like I needed more help. Oh well, I can suffer a little constipation if it means I won’t get some weird mosquito spread disease.

8 comments:

  1. "The stuff that came out was vegetable waste. Congealed and old. Have you ever been downwind from a garbage van? That’s how bad it smelled." -- wonderfully evocative! *turns away and pukes*

    On the other hand, good show! More power to Meera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. unconsious?

    i knew what i was doing.

    do you really want to know what the congealed stuff was? i was able to make out some. i'll you if you want to know. everything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is your dustbin dead?
    If you were dumping the sort of veg waste you excavated from the sink thing, I'm not surprised.

    You don't know what its like to have a sink clogged with puke do you? Not fun, my friend. Especially not if the puke was the direct result of 3 tall glasses of vodka chugged down over rajma+jeera rice. As Sid if you don't believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. vish - by dead i meant, broken, old, unused and buried under other trash. and thank god for small mercies. there are somethings in life that you see, for everything else, there is vish.

    ala - next time leave a p.s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so i don't hvae to bring a rice cooker? yippee!

    loser. you work weekends?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am operating under the assumption that yuo are bringing it.

    im not a loser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes you are. they have't given me a rice cooker to bring. does amma know you need one? maybe appa's bringing it. i don't know. they have send a cardboard box for me to take, though. it's too light to have a cooker.

    oh the things i do for a sister. i should be sainted. beatification, at least.

    ReplyDelete