Friday, July 21, 2006

On my way to work today I saw this on a board by the road: Sri Sai Deluxe Mess

Why is a place where food is made and served and eaten called a mess? I wonder what the story behind that is.

I'm re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide and there are so many bits that seem new. I have read the entire volume, cover to cover, atleast 5 times. And everytime, something seems new. I love reading books I have read before. If they are good books.

I tried to read A Hundred Years of Solitude last week. I read one page and gave up. Why are these award winning books so painful?

Does anybody have links to Enid Blyton's Jack, Peggy, Nora, Mike and Prince Paul stories. They were called the Mystery Series, I think. No, maybe the Mystery Series was the one with Miranda the Monkey and Barney and those two (three?) kids. I don't remember.

8 comments:

  1. Dafoe was in Spidey 2? I don't remember that movie at all.

    And not the adventure series - Philip, Jack, Dinah, and Lucy-Ann are cool but I liked Jack, Peggy, Nora, Mike and Paul better.

    In the first book, Paul is kidnapped and the others find him. Peggy, Nora and Mike's parents are "adventurers" and go off in their planes. Paul is the prince of some european country called Boronia or something and people there have red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.enidblyton.net/secret-series/

    I knew I'd find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You too? One hundred years of solitude was ... err ... boring. I kept telling myself, 'No, this can't happen, I'm sure the good stuff is just around the corner', but no, couldn't get past page 25.

    Maybe I should read it when I'm older and have nothing better to do with my time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh well I beg to disagree withr espect to one hundred Years of solitude. Maybe that should go as my guilty secret...inspite of the fact that the book was replete with metaphors (not my cup of tea ) I still liked the book...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok - point taken. Will give OYHS another go.

    I do want to read the book, you know, just that I had other 'interesting' books lined up. Also, the library was issuing renewal notice after renewal notice. So, I had to give the ghost up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey as far as i remember...the mystery series was the one with fatty and his frnds...5 find outers...with fatty and his fat allowances from his many aunts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok this is probably a delayed comment, but its the secret series...secret of spiggy holes, moon castle, etc etc.
    The ones with Barney and gang are the mystery series...rub a dub mystery rat a tat mystery rockingdown mystery etc etc
    The adventure series is phillip dinah lucy ann and jack and kiki the parrot...thats island of adventure, castle of adventure, etc.

    and then of course theres the five find outers(and dog) famous five secret seven and all the rest of it

    I miss blyton!!! None of the used bookstores here have that stuff :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Various Explanations:
    ---------------------
    1) its called a MESS coz of the mess one creates after having the food.
    2) Food is served...eaten...made...can't they decide on one?
    3)An acronym for "Made Eaten & Served with a Smile"

    ReplyDelete