Friday, May 06, 2005

dune chronicles

Has anybody read the Dune Chronicles?

I absolutely loved Dune, Messiah, Children of DUne, GOd Emperor, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse.... i wanted to be in the Bene Gesserit when I read the first book- who wouldn't after reading this at age 17 -

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I shall remain.
- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I thought it was the coolest thing ever. The language was weird and everything was rhetoric; the birth, life and death of a religion; the hours I spent staring the screen, wiping tears off my cheeks from reading 6 hours continuously; the way Muad'Dib goes from weird kid, to Whoa! prophet, to part worm to full worm; the Tleilaxu making the same man again and again; "Politics as a Repeat Phenomenon"; The Stolen Journals ...

( ... those three dots are together known as an ellipsis)

If I read it again I would hate it. All that religion, all those long speeches and cruel rulers, all those "water" conversations. I would hate it because I don't want to read in fiction what I can see everyday on the news. Life does follow fiction, but it is not as much fun to live it as it is to read about it happening in a non-existant galaxy far, far away.

1 comment:

  1. Oy vey! This is Vaishu's friend Karthik dropping in.

    Btw, ever heard of the Littany of Beer?

    Ummm, beer! Must go.

    ReplyDelete