Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Sith hit the fan - But there were no surprises.

Musafir wanted a review and he gets one. But SPOILERS AHEAD. If you want to see the movie without bias, DON'T READ ANY FURTHUR.
Biggest gripe - I knew what was going to happen every time before it happened. No surprises, no plot twists nothing. But...

The movie was good. But it could have been a lot better. A lot, lot better

It had some serious problems and the "light to dark" - Anakin to Darth Vader just did not work. The Anakin-Padme scenes seemed very forced and awkward and ranged from "Oh god please kill me now" embarrassment to "I don't want to see any more of this, shut this off" pain. It was a sad let down from the funny-cute Han Solo-Princess Leia scenes. Anakin was a whiny bitch throughout the movie and Padme was a spiness loser. I DON'T want to talk about them.

The good stuff - The action sequences were brilliant, there weren't too many creatures, and Yoda rocked.
The Obi Wan and Anakin scenes initially were damn good. All the fight scenes were superb. Like all good fantasy, the animation rocked! And Count Dooku and Anankin was great too. And General Grievous and Obi Wan. Ok All the action sequences were great.

The first 30 minutes of the movie was simply amazing (I'm running out of adjectives). It was the best part of teh movie. Awesome. And the Godfather style murders of the Jedi was also beautifully done. They could have shown a little more emotion, a little more angst during the Temple killings but other than that, that sequence was damn good. I'm not going to say more about that. Go watch the movie.

I wish there had been more C3PO and R2D2. And Natalie Portman had just no role in this movie. She's just sitting around waiting. Padme was a goddamn Senator, they should have given her more to do. And that shit about her dying as soon as she gave birth, wtf??? Leia tells Luke about their mother in Star Wars!! How did she do that if Organo took her the day she was born!! Did Lucas even see those first three movies????
I don't know how Obi Wan didn't kill Anakin. I wanted to. Darth Vader was a whiny, ambitious, neurotic teenager!! He killed millions because they wouldn't call him Master? What shit.

If Lucas had spent more time with the dialogues and story development, at least a decent fraction of what he had with the animation and action sequences, the movie would have been a lot better.

Yoda and Obi Wan were the real heros of this movie and to be honest, Ewan McGregoor makes a better Obi Wan than Alec Guiness (Blasphemy, I know; but still...). I bet Alec Guiness never looked this good in a short tunic ;) Yoda's fight sequence with Darth Sidious was superb. Yoda's everything in this movie was great. That scene when Anakin kills Mace Windu was good but the follow up conversation, the most important one, with Palpitine was totally botched.

I have one more gripe for the movie - everything was CGI, even the dirt. Nothing seemed real, it was as if they had not built any sets at all. Sad.

Yoda, Obi Wan, Darth Sidious, Senator Organa, General Grievous and Count Dooku rocked this movie.

The Score, how could I forget that! It made up for all the botched up dialogues. I'll shut up now. Go watch the movie.
Best line in the movie - When Anakin asks Senator Palpatine if he could learn to stop death and Palpatine says "Not from the Jedi". That was the turning point for Anakin

8 comments:

  1. Smashing review this - I so want to see the movie now!!

    I felt Attack of the Clones spoiled the series a bit. So was wary about how the third one would turn out. But I'll take your word for it.

    Ewan McGregor rocks totally! And can't wait to see Yoda "rock"!!

    PS: My colleagues talked me into watching "Hazaaron Khwaishen Aisi" this sunday...why do I commit suicide sometimes?

    PPS: And thanks for the mention - much honoured!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot - "The Sith hit the fan" -ROTLMAO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. check out http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2005/05/i_hates_lucas_i.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to watch the movie " Without BIAS" so i didnt read further. More after i have watched it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came across this blog, and I know you posted it ages ago, but still felt like I should comment on this awesome review.

    Couldn't have agreed more on Anakin just being a wimp, not the same feel as good ol' Darth Vader. Loved Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan, but seriously Alec Guiness rocked !!! Did you know that Alec Guiness convinced Lucas to kill the character Obi-Wan (partly because Guiness couldnt stand the corny wooden dialogues anymore).

    Yeah, everything CGI was kinda sucky, and I am glad someone noticed the fact that Leia talked about her mother in 'Return of the Jedi'.

    I think I should stop, I am sounding too much like a Star-Wars nerd. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. should it by 'I sound too much...' instead of 'I am sounding...' ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks.

    yeah it should be 'i shound too much..'

    you couldnt pay me to watch any of the star wars movies again, but i am happy i saw them.

    ReplyDelete