Friday, October 14, 2005

almost over

The vacation is almost done. Now I don't want to go back.

While at the doctor's waiting room for 2 hours, I read The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth. It was an amazing, but disturbing book, along the lines of To Kill a Mocking Bird. All the more disturbing because it is mostly true, almost completely historical. Some scary stuff.

It was about persecution of the Jews in America during the Second World War. Most books talk about Jews in Europe and persecution by the Nazis, whenever the 2ndWW is mentioned. This book was about anti-semetism in the US of A during the same time concentration camps were being set up in East Europe. Not anti semetism of the same type; but painful to those subject to it never the less.

And now, BBC Hardtalk has the author of The Colour Purple talking about how blacks still have it really bad in the USA and about poverty of both blacks and white there.

It is weird that both happened on the same day. I have grown up very protected and free. The only discrimination I have faced is because I am a girl and I have not faced much of that. I just don't like being lumped in one category and expected to act in a particular way just because of my uh.. anatomy. ANyway, I have never had much trouble because of that. I have had a very easy life. Sorta boring, true; but keep in mind the ancient chinese proverb, (All old proverbs that are a little twisted and seem badly translated end up being Ancient Cninese!), "May you live in interesting times!".

Thought it was worth a mention.

5 comments:

  1. it's not a proverb. it's a chinese curse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blacks have it real bad?
    i dont know about that...but asians sure do...its not a generalisation, but nevertheless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to see ya writing so much again...missed it!!! keep it goin...and have a good time at college!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's not black vs. white vs. brown vs. yellow here.. it's a lot more subtle and given respectability by 'tradition' and 'culture', but discrimination exists here too.. like when my grandmother says 'other people'...

    ReplyDelete