Thursday, October 13, 2005

la la la...

I couldn't think of a topic. obviously.

I don't have anything to say. I saw Rush Hour 2 last night. Hilarious junk. My mother walked off after the first 5 minutes. She just couldn't take it.

I told my 10 yr old cousin that I would use junk instead of shit. I think junk is really cute. When it's coming from a 10 yr old. From me, I don't really know.

Imagine saying, "What junk!" or a "Load of junk" or just "JUnk!" Weird.

It rained all of yesterday. It was awful outside. Chennai was not built to withstand water. WIth a little more than 5 hours of rain, there was 2 feet of water on the roads and autos and premier padminis and ne118s had stopped on the road.

Since I don't seem to be in a writing mood, I'm going to post a mail I had written on this topic on Nov 1, 2002 to my family e-group.

yesterday was an interesting day.

last exam got over. went to a friend's house with another friend. saw parts of fantasia, argued on the merits and demerits of seinfeld, frasier and other earth-shattering stuff. then it started raining. and it rained and then kept raining. we kinda decided to stay the night there, then my friend remembered that she was wearing her contact lenses and couldn't sleep with them on.(why not? i have, and suffered thereafter) so she pursuaded(?) me, that for the sake of her eyes (and for world peace) we'd trudge back home. and that we did.

picture this. dirty madras. dirty madras after almost 4 hours of nonstop rain- madras under a couple of feet of water. up to my thighs in some places. we saw some kids having a lot of fun in the water and figured it couldn't be all that bad. until somebody mentioned ditches, open manholes and the general state of roads in madras. so we set out on our journey back home. the first hundred yards or so was wet wet wet. up to our knees wet. then we got to the main road and it was total chaos. the road was packed. auto rickshaws, cars , buses, bikes and a lorry that just had to go the other way. i will never understand people. throw in a few cars which had
stalled, were deserted and some wet morose cows and every thumb on the horn and you will understand what it was.

the 2 of us decided that instead of holding up traffic we'd take an auto and we chanced upon an empty one, with a very garrulant driver. according to him, only 1 in a million auto guys were honest and we had chanced upon the only one in town. we were also entertained to stories about his two daughters, 3 sons, several grandchildren,fuel prices and tamilnadu politics in general. we humoured him with "ok" and "uhuhh" periodically but i dont think it would have made a difference if we hadn't been there either. anyway half way through, the auto stopped too, we helped push it to a corner of the road and waded our way back.

wet, cold and dirty, home never seemed more inviting.and it was only the first day of vacation.

by the way, we got a yummy dinner at my friend's house, so 'twasnt all bad.

going to ranipet tomorrow. will keep you posted.
bye
meera


what do you think?

9 comments:

  1. You have a family e-group? Good lord, girl, is your last name Shaftoe?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't be mean. we do have have a family egroup. we are like the corleones. everybody has a need to know about everybody else. everybody has an opinion and everybody has unique oddities.

    nah, not shaftoe. we have 31 members, of whom, only about 10 actually contribute. pretty entertaining tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't believe that u read all of that post and commented on only those to words.

    and fyi, i have an egroup each for my mother's side and my father's side and one for my cousins and several for my friends from various places. i am the egroup demon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's what caught my eye!

    Psst! Out of curiosity, ever read Cryptonomicon?

    If you did, you'd know why I asked you the Shaftoe question! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope. where can i get the online version of it? i googled shaftoe and found out the whole neal stephenson deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got an e-mail address?

    It's quite wonderful - and adaptability, now that's a Shaftoe parody right there.

    One of the best books I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "we are like the corleones" - Now THAT is an understatement!:P

    Just caught up with all your latest posts - it's nice to know that some things don't change...err... make that people :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. i remember this mail meera...you sent it to me too

    ReplyDelete