Thursday, July 28, 2005

American History X and a Vegetarian Dilemma

I'm watching that tonight. I've watched about half of it and the weird thing is, I keep getting mixed up with this movie and Bang! Bang! You're Dead. It must be because they both deal with teen angst, identity crisis and "issues". Though the issues themselves are very different. More on that after I finish the movie.

Dinner was weird. It all started innocently enough. Alka called up and asked if I was coming to a nearby chinese restaurant for dinner. I said ok. And so we set out, Alka, Anbu, Kobi and I. We reached the place all in one piece and it said "ONLY FISH". Now this, I didn't know. I wasn't too bothered; I could always have the chinese restaurant staple - noodles, and so, on we went.

We entered the dim-lit, restaurant and then it hit me. The smell of fish. There were two bowls of fish and crab, cut up and very delectably arranged on the table next to the entrance. UGH. I knew fish stank, but god, ugh! Anbu, predictably, pulled me close the chopped fish and there was a smaller fish inside the bigger fish's mouth!! It looked like it had been killed in the process of puking!

We sat down and they ordered soups, fish, prawn and crab, while I ordered soup, noodles.

The soups came and were predictably bad. I had two sips of mine and sent it back. It looked like sewage and tasted pretty bad too. And then the food came. It was a massacre of unparalleled proportions. Atleast it seemed like one to my unfamiliarized eyes. And ears. The smoked hilsa came in pretty, pink, filleted strips, with a lot of vegetables on the side and didn't look all that violent. But the prawn! and the crab!! 'twas all red and when I asked why everything was so red, Alka, with a straight face, said that it was because the base was blood. She's damn good, but I'm used to her by now... They ate, or rather tore their way through the food. The exoskeleton took some manipulation; and by that I mean, they first bit it (it broke with a resounding CRACK) and then tried to scoop out the stuff inside with a fork, then with a spoon, then with a knife and a fork and finally gave up all the silverware and went at it, teeth and nails. It was a very educative experience. I gave up trying to eat and just watched them. This took a while. Toward the end of the meal Alka turned to me and said "This is going to be blogged, isn't it". Heh heh. Yep. Then we had dessert and made our way back.

The moral of the story - when going out to dinner, make sure there's atleast one other person whose dietary needs match yours.

Fish stinks. How much ever a delicacy it is, it stinks.

Now I have to go wash my clothes. Good bye. Do you have any interesting food escapades?

8 comments:

  1. I'm soooo happy i didn't join u guys !!! :)

    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. meera
    I am so happy some one agrees me.. FISH STINKS STINKS STINKS
    :D
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankss for dropping by.

    And yes, American History is an amazing movie. Edward Norton at his very best. The movie will have an impact, and thats guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, went to an Ethiopian Restaurant once. Good food, but a little odd. There is no concept of plates, the bread is the plate and you eat it.

    Was hard finding good veggie food, but what little I'd had was definitely good food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Questions: Is it
    - Fish stinks...as in the singular, meaning that poor particular unfortunate...or
    - Fish stink..as in the same species, but the whole damn lot..or
    - Fishes stink..as in the entire Piscean gang, with no discrimination whatsoever
    where do i put a question mark in that Q? assume theres one, meera
    and pease do comment on my blog, i like it. its amusing. and of course, nobody else reads it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @vish - probably all of the above. but i don't think i can comment, as i have not much exposure to that family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you found that bad...try Indonesian food some time. I am sure you are going to run away without watching anyone for any time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thai cuisine shld be a definite try...

    ReplyDelete