Thursday, July 14, 2005

On Poetry

I have always thought of people who write poetry as NOT HUMAN. I'm not talking of those far-away beings like Tennyson who wrote the first poem that I 'recited' to an audience - The Beggar Maid and other works of art like The Charge of the Light Brigade and The Lady of Shalott; I am talking of people I know, who are otherwise normal, who can make phrases rhyme, who can piece together an ABABA style or even a 'modern' poem that dosen't rhyme, but sounds so damn good!

Take T for example; She is brilliant. Her poems are almost always sad, angry or upset. But they are beautifully so. And R, he is an effing genius when it comes to describing emotions with metaphors or K, who I was knew for 5 years before I knew that she wrote poetry.

Pigs. I love poetry. Not to the extent that I can quote Keats at the drop of a hat (though I do know "I stood tip-toe upon a little hill, The air was cooling, and so very still") but I like to read them. But can I write poems? Hell No. I have tried. And what a miserable product that was! Embarassing, it was.

This is a testament of my jealousy.

12 comments:

  1. I agree about T.

    And about R as well :P - always wondered as to why you didn't leave proper comments, but now I know. Thanks :), but "effing genius"?? LOL.

    "but I like to read them" - I knew that.

    On a serious note, sometimes you just have to write, and everything else follows.

    I'd call this a testament of truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we know atleast about people who quote poetry at the drop of a hat that more often than not the dropped hat is not theirs..cos' they will be talking thro' theirs....:P:P

    Poetry Was Not His Cup Of Tea
    Especially When He Was Refused A Fee
    He Cried Out Loud"Is It A Crime?
    That I Cannot For Nuts Rhyme?"
    Pity The World Will Now Never Know
    All The Hidden Gems He Had To Show!
    -Almost a poet

    into Everyone's life a little rain must fall....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @girish- you are a poet too!!!??? why? why?
    @ musafir - ihave tried... and trust me, it sucked like a new vaccuum cleaner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! whaddaya know? I can only quote a line from My Best Friend's Wedding "I have got moves which you havent seen.." rather irrelevantly here! :P:P

    Me? A poet? Was Darwin a Biologist?
    Kant a philosopher?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, no, Darwin was not a biologist, in the true sense of the word. Though people call him an Evolutionary Biologist, he was more interested in Natural History than Biology. He tried his hand at Geology, Medicine, Entomology, Chemistry and Botany, among others. SO there's no way you could just call him a biologist. He just had a habit of picking up hobbies in science, and then dropping them.

    He was an explorer, more than anything else.

    There, my lecture for the day. I know I'm insufferable. You don't have to tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @sophist: And pray when Did I claim he was "merely" a biologist?;) DArwin was multifaceted and that was exactly what that rhetorical qn was all about.....sure that fits in perfectly if we somehow say that Kant was also a ballet dancer..you see he was err..multifaceted too....getting hoisted with one's own petard eh?;) I am using "sophsitry" to get back at you!;)

    And yes you can go ahead. Say I am a genius! :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um... I think I'll refrain.

    About that phrase, hoist with your own petard. Did you know that when Shakepears used it in Hamlet, Hamlet was erasing out his own name and putting Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's names on a death warrant? And the word petard (meaning small bomb)? Comes from the French Peter, which meant to break wind or fart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this conversation is facinating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! So the character of Lisa Simpson does have it's fan following after all...and talking about Simpsons for all the trivia you want to know go to
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096697/trivia

    So teaching your grandmother to suck eggs eh?

    P.s. Have no idea why I used that above idiom but am curious to know about it's origin and be educated abt the totally worthless,trite info on it....

    @consumerdemon: please tell me you ont know "everyone" who comments on the other comments in your blog....

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops...my apologies for the faux pas. Just realized who "Sophist" was....

    ReplyDelete